Skip to main content

Being a Womaniya!

As a child I used to adore my mom’s friends every time they come home. The cackling laughter, the infectious joy on their faces... some there since her childhood together in every step that they took.
 
I grew up dreaming of having such friends around me – my besties with whom I could be myself and share the dirtiest secret without a cringe. But somehow that never happened! I had friends who were more like “girls” and perhaps I wasn’t like one. Well to let you know am those types who when under trouble instead of shouting for HELP! Would actually beat the hell out of the trouble to make it whim HELP!!
 
 
Source: Google Images
 
Somehow that distanced me from a lot of them every time. I would roll my eyes at everything they thought was cool and they did the same with me too! They hated that I was so tom boyish and could do things on my own and I hated that they couldn’t. To be honest to quite an extent I was avoided and bullied seemly for being too open and honest with my views and opinions. Sugar coating is something I could never do then or even now. Too much to accommodate, isn’t it?
 
Heaving a deep sigh I walked into my teens and by the time I was out of them I had concluded I wasn’t made for girlfriends. I wasn’t blessed enough to know the joy of having one for I was an odd one out here in this big bad world. Years flew by and somehow I landed up being a blogger, entering Indiblogeshwaris (A face book group of the woman, by the woman, for the woman!)

 
 
Hesitant at first, this group made me realise that it wasn’t me who was wrong all this while; it was the ones I met who were. Everyone needs a particular type of friend and I hadn’t met one so far. They make me relieve those school and college days with their jokes, leg pulling and all other fun that we keep having their everyday. I am myself there every single moment and never have to pretend to be anything else I don’t want. The comfort and respect I get is we all always want to have.
 
 
We rant, we bitch, we crib, we cry (Oh yes we do!! But because we feel the need to and not because we don’t have a choice with it!!). We discuss everything and anything under the sun here and yet nothing feels awkward. The distances melt away when we type things there as suddenly all the members come alive through their words as if you are surrounded by them. It is a group of some wonderful women bloggers who are successful entrepreneurs, professionals, students, SAHMs, young-at-heart-students across all age groups and what makes it affable is the infectious joy that I experience every time I am there.
 
Our meetings are pure CHAOS - not for us, but for the venue owners for we are too busy laughing away to glory to notice anybody else’s trouble at that time. When we meet our reactions are not “Oh my God! You have put on weight!!” “That colour doesn’t suit you!!” Or any other such things! The reason being the joy of seeing the other person in flesh standing before us is too much to make us notice anything else around. We accept each other as we are – Perfectly Imperfect and that is what makes this group the bestest place to be for me on this virtual world. And yes our meetings whether virtual or real are incomplete without our Dance – The Indiblogeshwari Style and our group hugs making the whole earth melt! Finally a place on earth that is mine, let's be me - a womaniya from the heart and soul, completely <3
 
 

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Desiccated Land by David Lepeska

  ISBN: 978-9395481205  Genre: Non-fiction Publisher: Vishwakarma Publications  Bringing together his experiences as a journalist and a keen observer, David Lepeska writes a raw and gut-wrenching book on Kashmir. Part memoir, part travelogue, and part reportage, Desiccated Land is a page-turner.  The book starts by tracing the history of the region along with his own history, as a student who was dimly aware of the history of Kashmir and the turmoil it has been causing for centuries between India and Pakistan. Lepenska takes us to Nilamata Purana ( likely written in the 7th century ) which tells us the story leading to the birth of this region. He also shares an alternate possibility of the word being derived from a lake ‘Mira’ named after Vedic Sage Kashyapa.  His first visit to Kashmir closely followed by his second (and much longer) visit as a journalist working for the Kashmir Observer after the 9/11 attacks, make for an interesting read. Lepeska had questions, a lot of them. An

Book Review: Lost Edges by Salini Vineeth

ISBN:  978-9358111019 Genre: Drama / Contemporary Fiction Price: INR 349/- Lost Edges by Salini Vineeth Lost Edges by Salini Vineeth is the story of a couple, Ravi and Geetanjali as they navigate through their marriage. The story takes place in a decade after their marriage and captures the ups and downs of their marriage beautifully. Salini Vineeth is a fiction writer and travel blogger based out in Bangalore, India. Her latest book is Magic Square - an English Novella. She is an engineering graduate from BITS Pilani, Goa. She later completed her MTech from IIT-Bangalore. While working as an electronics engineer, Salini started her travel website Pick, Pack, Go in 2014.   Having read her work previously, I was kind of prepared for Lost Edges. However, the author that she is, Vineeth blew me away with the treatment of this story. Her knack for dealing with relationships, talking about their messier aspects while continuing to retain their beauty shines through the book. In the beginn

Book Review: Never Mind Yaar by K Mathur

Introduction ·          ISBN - 978-0-473-17480-4 ·          Genre: Fiction ·          Publishers: Southpac Publishers ·          Price: Rs. 350/- ( I got this book from Blog Adda for a review ) The title is an attitude - our tendency to feel defeated by the scale and nature of certain problems. Rather than meet them head on, we circumvent them with a sigh and a consoling “never mind, yaar”. When long time friends Binaifer Desai and Louella D’Costa meet Shalini Dayal at Gyan Shakti College, a true friendship that transcends cultural and religious backgrounds is born. Louella is a Christian, Binaifer, a Parsi and Shalini, a Hindu. The novel’s main plotline surrounds Shalini who has fallen for an impetuous student activist, Bhagu. Where does his desire to help the less fortunate lead him? The challenges are many - Shalini’s tradition bound family, the couple’s youth and inexperience and the travails of life in Mumbai, a city the girls love but know, is fraug