Skip to main content

Confessions of a confused soul – 2

Source: Google Images


I love being on the MOVE. Well that is what I have been doing till now. Born in one city, grown up in other, attended school and went to college in third and now working in the fourth. I love this change. Maybe it has got to do something with my sun sign (I am a Gemini!). But I also love the newness this brings along with it. I am very attached to these four places as I feel there is part of me which I have left behind with them. And that is the reason when I am maha-upset all I do is visit any one of these places. 

It gives me a sense of belonging. I might not meet anyone whom I know in the city and just wander on the streets. The feeling of being there, inhaling that air….. I actually feel the city hugging me back, just like a mother would to a child who comes to her every time he/she faces some trouble. Like I often say I don’t carry any pleasant memories of my childhood but I do have some wonderful memories of my growing up and coming of age in these cities as there I learnt some of the most crucial lessons of life. Last week I was travelling to one of these cities as things were not going great and I badly needed a break. Not only did I come back rejuvenated I also learnt some new lessons.

Each one comes into our life to teach us something. Everytime someone came that person took away a part of Me as they left chipping me away piece by piece. Couple of years ago I had reached a stage where there was nothing left in Me to be taken away and survival seemed more like a question mark. It is then I undertook a journey - a journey of trying make myself whole and complete again. And I felt I had succeeded to a large extent. Years later today when someone once left from my life that person had nothing to take away on leaving. The only thing that happened was it left me shaken.

"Being shaken and trying to regain my composure is much easier than being broken and not knowing where your missing pieces lay "- Me 

My thoughts – Some weeks ago:

I have witnessed and experienced it all – Extra marital affairs, homosexuality, CSA, marital rape, divorce, domestic violence, suicide, death etc and have survived it too. Nothing on this earth can shake me anymore. I have consciously worked on my inner beliefs and made myself a complete being who is at peace with everything around her.

My thoughts -2 weeks ago:

The feeling of being vulnerable is so overwhelming. I never knew I could be shocked and disturbed so badly that I could barely make a conversation with someone without crying. I have not been like this in ages. Yet today all I can feel is a sense of emptiness within as if all the efforts of these many years were futile. Am I really so hollow?

My thoughts – Last week:

I meditated a lot as I wanted to feel that calmness very badly inside me. There was something burning inside me and that heat was unbearable. In those meditations I went back to all those stages of my life which defined me. These things are long buried in the forgotten lanes of past. I was confused as to what made all of them come up suddenly like a storm which has shaken the roots of my existence. 

My thoughts – NOW:

I learnt all the pain is coming back just to leave forever this time. It is like a caterpillar who has two options - undergo the pain to be a beautiful butterfly or chose to be the caterpillar all his life. It is this pain which will take me to the real Me.

I am at peace once again as I realised this incident was an important lesson. There are still many emotional holes to be plugged. There is a lot of homework that still needs to be done so that I become what I want to be – A complete human being. Though I have always been told that I come across as a very strong individual I learnt that there is still a lot of strength that needs to be gathered even now. And though I felt I have grown up now, there is a lot of growing up that remains to be done yet.

Having concluded that I am now on a new journey - on the move - trying to live these lessons!

Source: Google Images
P.S: This post has been published in Kaleidoscope Ezine's January 2013 issue.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Desiccated Land by David Lepeska

  ISBN: 978-9395481205  Genre: Non-fiction Publisher: Vishwakarma Publications  Bringing together his experiences as a journalist and a keen observer, David Lepeska writes a raw and gut-wrenching book on Kashmir. Part memoir, part travelogue, and part reportage, Desiccated Land is a page-turner.  The book starts by tracing the history of the region along with his own history, as a student who was dimly aware of the history of Kashmir and the turmoil it has been causing for centuries between India and Pakistan. Lepenska takes us to Nilamata Purana ( likely written in the 7th century ) which tells us the story leading to the birth of this region. He also shares an alternate possibility of the word being derived from a lake ‘Mira’ named after Vedic Sage Kashyapa.  His first visit to Kashmir closely followed by his second (and much longer) visit as a journalist working for the Kashmir Observer after the 9/11 attacks, make for an interesting read. Lepeska had questions, a lot of them. An

From there to here to where

From this blog in 2011 to Barnes and Noble website, my reviewing journey has been full of surprises.  I am working on an essay tracing it and realized that I started reviewing books in 2001 (Yes! I am old) for a small library next to my house. Needless to add, my payment was in the books. The library owner also happened to be the first person who taught me how to write a book review and what to focus on. And that is where I learned why reviews matter.  Cut to 2016 when my book review was taught in a Literary Criticism class held by British Library. A relative happened to attend that class and the news spread like wildfire in the family. That is the moment when my family knew this much more than just a hobby. 

Book Review: Never Mind Yaar by K Mathur

Introduction ·          ISBN - 978-0-473-17480-4 ·          Genre: Fiction ·          Publishers: Southpac Publishers ·          Price: Rs. 350/- ( I got this book from Blog Adda for a review ) The title is an attitude - our tendency to feel defeated by the scale and nature of certain problems. Rather than meet them head on, we circumvent them with a sigh and a consoling “never mind, yaar”. When long time friends Binaifer Desai and Louella D’Costa meet Shalini Dayal at Gyan Shakti College, a true friendship that transcends cultural and religious backgrounds is born. Louella is a Christian, Binaifer, a Parsi and Shalini, a Hindu. The novel’s main plotline surrounds Shalini who has fallen for an impetuous student activist, Bhagu. Where does his desire to help the less fortunate lead him? The challenges are many - Shalini’s tradition bound family, the couple’s youth and inexperience and the travails of life in Mumbai, a city the girls love but know, is fraug