Skip to main content

At the click of a button



A decade back I was a confused teenager not sure about the choices I was supposed to make in life and where it would all lead me to. Adding onto it the fact that I was the only black sheep of the family who wanted to go the unconventional way rather than try venturing onto the tried and tested methods.

Before you kill me for beating around the bush some background – I belong to a very conservative South Indian family where every second person is either a doctor (Not the medicine wala doctor but a Ph D holder) or an engineer. And here I was a mediocre student who detested the alphabet S purely for it spelt science. They all are either are in government jobs or are professionals having their own practice. So now tell me what kind of advice will they give to a 17 year old who has opted for commerce (while she wanted to do BCA) and is wondering what kind of job to take?

Source: Google Images

Bank jobs, government sector etc were the obvious options that came my way. And all I could do as frown and say BORING! I wanted a job which would make me look forward to it each day and not something that would make feel dreary. I could not picture myself being pushed to work just like I had been to the school all these years. 


I started working at a call centre; exciting, thrilling and completely my kinda job with all the jabbering that I was supposed to do. Very soon I was handling 600 calls a day and that too with highest quality – call it inborn talent ;)
It is there when I realized that only a graduation degree won’t suffice for further growth and my dreams of proving myself to everyone would end up being stifled. That is when distance education came to my rescue. I pursued my masters through distance education from one of the premier institutes and attended evening classes. It not only widened my learning but also helped me meet many like-minded people there helping me evolve more.

Today there are more options available and when I look back I feel we had very limited choices to make from. As the options are varied I am spoilt for choices. Today we have Edukart, Coursera , Khan Academy , FLIP academy and I am constantly undergoing a course at any one of these for they have such wonderful options available. And I strongly believe learning as a process is constant in life for that helps us keep evolving from time to time and stay abreast about the developments in the world. At the click of a button the whole world with its plethora of opportunities seems to come at my doorstep beckoning me with open arms to come and explore all that it has in store for me.

Luckily for me I have finally found a job I am immensely in love with (touchwood!!) and would not trade it for anything. They also encourage learning constantly through various trainings and courses for us. But yes nothing beats the On-the-job learning. I love it so much that a leave is a pain for me!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Little Hearts by Ravi Kumar

Introduction • Genre: Fiction / Romance • Publishers : Biblica Publications • Price: Rs. 195/- ( P.S: I got the book from the author for a review ) The crux of the novel is the awakening of a young innocent boy’s mind, intellect and body. His budding senses and intellect which go through a turbulent phase as he matures is brought out. This apart, some serious valid questions which troubled everyone at some point in their life are highlighted. Behind The book Source: Google Images

Book Review: The Ultimate Reality by Gian Kumar (Book 3)

Introduction ISIN: 978-93-52013-74-6 Genre:  Non-fiction / Self help Publishers:  Celestial Books (Leadstart Corp) Price:  Rs. 199/- (  I got the book from the publisher for a review ) In this third book, the author Gian Kumar has ventured into experiential awareness. His earlier books had shown that in spite of material and digital comforts in the world today, we are still living a life of dualities. Happiness-unhappiness, good-bad, God-devil, all exist side by side. Following spiritual teachings of gurus or masters do not give the much needed solace; there still seems to be something missing. The mind, with its constant chatter and habit of delving into past experiences and anxieties about the future, does not allow to live in the present moment and be aware in the 'now'. By the time our mind can register it, there is already a new 'now' which has taken its place. Here, the author has brought us into a deeper existence, where through experiential realiz...

Book Review: Because I am a girl

Introduction ·          ISBN: 978-8-184-00156-3 ·          Genre : Non-Fiction ·          Price: Rs. 299/-   (I got this book from the publisher for a review) ·          Pages: 175 ·          Publishers: Random House Publishers I am a girl and I am proud to be one. But in our country this statement is not something each girl can say with pride in her voice. With changing times we are witnessing a storm which is brewing up and slowly will engulf the whole country in this tide of change. Because I am girl – Seven girls, seven lives is a wonderful collection of true stories of such girls who despite all odds changed the way the world saw them. Well for reasons of my chosing this book – there are many – First it being about women, second it being bas...